Have you been dreaming of learning how to play Roxanne by The Police on your guitar? Don’t worry, it’s not as difficult as you might have thought! With just a few chords and some strumming, you’ll be on your way to playing this classic tune in no time.
To begin, it’s important to have the sheet music for this song. Luckily, there are a few different options available online, like the one from Sheet Music Direct:
Make sure to familiarize yourself with the sheet music before starting to play!
The chords for Roxanne are pretty simple. The song is in the key of E major, and you’ll only need to know a few basic chords:
- E major
- A major
- C# minor
Once you have these chords down, you’ll be able to play through the entire song.
Now that you know the chords, it’s time to work on your strumming. The strumming pattern for this song is relatively simple, and can be broken down into four beats per measure:
Just repeat this pattern throughout the song, and you’ll be able to keep a steady rhythm.
Tips and Ideas
Here are a few tips and ideas to help you better learn Roxanne on your guitar:
- Practice the chords and strumming slowly at first, and gradually speed up as you get more comfortable with the song.
- Try to match the rhythm of the song with your strumming, especially during the “Roxanne” chorus.
- Experiment with different strumming patterns to make the song your own.
- Once you’re comfortable playing the song on your own, try playing along with the original recording to get a feel for how it sounds in context.
How to Play
Here’s a quick breakdown of how to play Roxanne on your guitar:
- Start by playing an E major chord for four beats.
- Next, play an A major chord for two beats, then a B7 chord for two beats.
- Repeat the E, A, and B7 chords for four beats each.
- For the chorus (“Roxanne”), play a C# minor chord for two beats, then an A major chord for two beats, and finally a B7 chord for four beats.
- Repeat the E, A, and B7 chords for four beats each, followed by the C# minor, A, and B7 chords for the chorus.
- Finish the song by playing an E major chord for eight beats.
With a little bit of practice, you’ll be able to play Roxanne by The Police on your guitar with ease!